Saturday, December 29, 2018

I, Attention Whore

But enough about me because this post is about Jordan Peterson, Attention Whore Writ Large.

And it's a short one because I've finally figured out what his problem is - he's a victim of his own binary thinking.

I know, ironic much?

The thing is, while lots of things can be true at once in the real world, in internet arguments they can't be, not at all. We're individuals out there where we live our lives, but either/or stereotypes in here where we argue about how we're living them. And for Jordan, men are all born to be Hank Rearden (from Ayn Rand's fourth and final novel, Atlas Shrugged, which I read and loved when I was a teenager), and if not for Feminists they all would be, while women were all born to be - not Dagny Taggart - but Hank Rearden's wife and/or secretary.

And again, if not for Feminists, we all would be, the wind beneath Hank Rearden's sails, as it were.

Except, I was raised by a single parent, a widow, and a Feminist, and I could see quite clearly by the time I was old enough to go to school, that she was freer to live her life without her Hank Rearden husband than any of my friends' mothers were with their Hank Rearden husbands.

And Gram, who came to live with us, was the wind beneath my mom's sails, keeping the home fires burning while my mom was out and about in the world, living life like a, like a man!

Oh and didn't all my friends' dads not like it. And they'd bravely tell little girl me so, too. Although not my mom because she could shrivel their balls up so far they'd get stuck in their throats.

Of course, being an idiot, that important lesson in life escaped me, the one about living freer without a man than with one, and so, clock atickin', I roped me a man off from the herd, got us married, and made us three children.

And ffs you'd think by his behaviour that he'd had no choice in any of it.

Anyway, it was while reading a recent article by 90s "Prozac IT Girl" Elizabeth Wurtzel, who recently discovered that the man she thought was her biological father wasn't, and ends with her realizing that mother wanted to be a single mom, that I had the breakthrough I want to share with you, dear reader.

Imagine that, I thought for a moment, a woman admitting to wanting to be a single mom. Which was exactly when I realized, "OMG! That's what I should do, too, admit to wanting to be a single mom!"

I realize in quotation marks.

And that, I'm guessing, makes me the worst kind of woman imaginable to Jordan Peterson. So, while I'm admitting stuff on the internet, I may as well admit that I don't really give a shit what Jordan Peterson or ANY man thinks of me now.

This turning sixty in 2019 is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment