Sunday, December 8, 2019

Annnnnd, I'm Done

So I had a revealing experience yesterday when I went to purchase a new smart phone (because I recently paid off the tab on the one I have now and so the battery is dying faster than a speeding bullet).

The handsome young man in the store steered me towards the phone he claimed was the one he owned (which I only just now realized is probably total bullshit) and I thought, okay, may as well get a good one - NOT that I have any idea what's good and what isn't when it comes to these pieces of disposable crap we rely on more than ever for reasons which escape me.

Anyway, I wasn't quite ready to do the deed as I didn't have my dying phone with me or my account number of the company I'd be switching from (because I have no idea how to get my account number as I really don't know how to use my dying phone). The handsome young man wanted me to come back later because he was working yesterday, not today, and being a former retail employee (2013-2015 ladieswear at the mall - watch for my book "That Looks Good on You - You Should Buy It" - coming soon) I sympathized with his warm eyes and charming smile and planned to do just that.

Then I went to the nearby grocery store, did my shopping, got home around 3:30, and realized I didn't have time to figure out how to get my account number off my dying phone, let alone go back to the phone store and do the deed.

We were scheduled for a potluck downtown, 6-ish, and I still had cookies and a salad to make.

By the way, cab companies in Ottawa use dispatchers on the other side of the world now and so public transit had better get its fucking act together or I'm moving to Timbuktu - where the cab dispatchers live?

The thing is, I'm so glad I didn't follow through now because I realized last night that I don't want to have to learn how to make proper use of a smart phone. It's too much for me. I'm done, tapped out, topped off. I'd even get a rotary phone that jacks into the wall except that then I'd be a sitting duck for pollsters and scammers and I doubt anyone makes them anymore anyway because they're not disposable pieces of crap.

We're drowning in garbage and we all know why and I guess I can at least not replace a smart phone I never used as anything more than a rotary phone that I could fit in my bag and take with me to work - which reminds me to tell you that my past couple of G-workplaces haven't come with phones!

So I'm going to stay with the same company I'm with because they're not extortionists, at least (so not Rogers or Bell) and get a phone that just does calls and texts. And when I'm lost, as I am on occasion because I still leave home without necessarily knowing where I'm going, I'll just ask someone who knows how to use their smart phone where I am and how I can get to where I want to be.

Because here's where I'm at now, I would much rather depend on the kindness of strangers, than learn to use one more bit (byte?) of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment