Friday, May 1, 2020

That Looks Good on You! You Should Buy It!

Between 2013 and 2015 I sold ladieswear at the mall. Then I wrote a book about it. I sent it to a few friends to read. They liked it but most friends said they would rather wait until it's published, buy it, and then read it. Or not.

Either way, they wanted to pay for it. And fair enough. I prefer doing that, too.

Then I decided I'd like illustrations for my book. One thing led to another and a Facebook friend agreed to do them. The illustrations took a while, and during that time, my mother died, and then my illustrator's mother died. But on April 1st, my dead mother's birthday, the book was complete with illustrations. It had also been re-edited by a couple of keen-eyed readers.

The end?

Maybe?

Look, here's the thing, my Facebook friend and I are splitting the profits from sales of the book. She's donating her share to a shelter in her area, I'm donating my share to a shelter in Ottawa. It's the only thing that makes sense to us now and I'm sure you can all appreciate why.

But getting a book published is hard. I thought I could just slap it up on Amazon but I can't. It's too complicated. So I'm soliciting advice, help, maybe even a publisher to get the job done for us.

Comments are open.

5 comments:

  1. My wife published her book using the services of Freisen Press, a Canadian company based in Victoria, BC. They produce physical books as well as electronic formats compatible with Amazon's Kindle, Apple et al.

    You HAVE to produce some physical books to put on your bookshelf and give them away to friends. My wife loves signing them and giving them away. I think you will as well.

    Plus, in an emergency you can use them for kindling and TP!

    I hope this helps. And like most of your friends, I will buy the book in physical and electronic format. Of course, I'll be jonesing for a signed copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My FB friend (the illustrator of my book) is going to give it a go. She's more tech-savvy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Talking about books is the death of actually ever getting around to writing them" -- Douglas Murray

    I want your book! Hurry up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh darn it. If Friesen books costs a couple of grand then I (my company, who you still voice the phone menu for! … I bought you a laptop for that) will fund it. Give me a Sooey Book!

    ReplyDelete