Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Do No Harm

I deactivated my Twitter account today. You non-addicts likely won't get what a big deal that is. Even you addicts whose addiction isn't Twitter may not get what a big deal that is.

But it's a big deal.

I have trouble regulating my behaviour so I don't overdo it and end up causing myself harm. But I'm getting better at calling myself out.

Twitter was the elephant in my room for quite a while. I'd even tricked myself into believing Elon Musk had made it better by making it worse.

😀

But then yesterday, I was randomly, or maybe not so randomly, seized with an urge to close it. So I did. And I looked around the room, suddenly appreciating the relief of reality, and recognized Twitter as just a product, a product I'd become addicted to using and so would need to quit.

As an addict I know there's only cold turkey. If I could moderate my behaviour I'd have done so. I can't. But it's also how when I actually applied myself to write the book I'd been talking about writing for decades, I did it in three weeks.

😀

Speaking of which, I've decided as self help to get to work on another book. I'll blog it or send it to Galaxy Brain as I go. It's going to be the book I originally set out to write when I got sidetracked into telling the story of my two years selling ladieswear at the mall instead. This one is going to be snippets from my life but also the lives of others, the gems they've shared with me over the years, gems I can't not share now with you.

My muse for this book, by the way, is the fellow who got his ship stuck in the Suez Canal.

😀

No comments:

Post a Comment