Sunday, February 11, 2024

Ghosted

Believe it or not I only just realized I have no power over other people, what they think, what they think of me, what they do, what they don't do, and no responsibility at all for how they choose to live their lives.

I was watching an interview of my favourite celebrity, Fran Lebowitz, whose snark has given me great comfort over the years, and she was remarking on her new fanbase, one that came about as a result of the Netflix documentary about her life in New York city. Young people show up to her talks and ask her what they should do with their lives, to which she responds, "I don't care. Do what you want. Look for water."

The advice to look for water is based on something she read about the world being out of water by 2050.

She goes on to tell the interviewer about having no illusions about her power in the world, as she has none. It also doesn't matter to her if people don't like what she thinks. It never did. She cares what her friends think of her as a person, but she doesn't care if her friends don't like what she thinks.

I've seen this interview before but this time, I got it.

Stop taking shit personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment