Saturday, April 6, 2024

Estrangement

Lately I've been enjoying takes on life by older women, older women for whom it's all about letting go.

They seem happy, these women, so I've decided to be all about letting go now, too.

Say, you know that joke, how many fill-in-the-blank-ethnicity grandmothers does it take to change a lightbulb?

"Oh don't mind me, I'll just sit in the dark."

In fact, that lightbulb would be changed before it could go out, but I guess the joke is about what martyrs grandmothers are, how little they matter to themselves, never mind anybody else. We picture a stolid old woman dressed in black, sitting on a hard backed chair in the dark, the bare bulb long since having burnt out, mourning her dead husband, nothing to live for, her children grown and flown.

Somebody reminded me of it the other day and I realized I don't find it funny anymore.

It got old. The stereotype is dated. All the grandmothers I know are still working, or recently retired - but like recently retired energizer bunnies - married, divorced, children grown.

But not always flown.

Some of their children, grown for some time now, are still living with their mothers, some of whom are grandmothers, too. And it would be fine except they aren't very nice to these caring women I've witnessed love and nurture them all their lives, some even choosing to stay-at-home full-time, not wanting to trade time with them for money... for them.

Committed to the bit, as it were.

Experts and non-experts alike could no doubt point to a million and one reasons for this rudeness, but I only see excuses, now, finally, excuses for why these adults can't finish school, get a job, do much of anything other than play online games all night, sleep all day and blame their mothers for getting it, them, so terribly wrong, causing them so much suffering, that, well, they can't, like, leave home already.

We all tried so hard to get it right. We did. Love, love, love and more love. I don't know any mothers my age who didn't give motherhood their all. Our kids were our choice, 100%, timed to the optimum second of the cycle. All of our children so, so, so wanted. We followed the rules to get pregnant, be pregnant, all to ensure our children had the best possible lives from the get go. Pre-natal classes, post-natal classes, play dates, cooperative games, nourishing meals, reading, reading, and more reading.

No pop! Add twice the amount of water suggested on the can of juice! Cosy routines for happy bedtimes!

We were determined to be the best mothers ever in the history of the world.

No. Stop right there. Don't you dare pile on us, too, with your finger-wagging about our helicoptering or lack of boundaries, our enabling. We're terrified and have been terrified forever and none of us deserve to be treated this way by our adult children. It's inexcusable. Period. End of. Just pity the poor parents who only have one and so might actually believe their only adult child's accusation they ruined their life by being bad parents, no other adult children to point to and ask, "Then why are they doing okay?"

Kidding. Mothers with more than one child would never dream of doing such a thing. Fairness above all. Some children require more of us than others. Never compare apples and oranges, no two snowflakes alike, as an elementary school principal once put it to me.

One day, mother or adult child manages to cause a rip in their shared space/time continuum, and the adult child moves out with a "Thanks for nothin', stupid lady." All largesse forgotten.

Well, we must have owed them those extra years, extra years of living around them in our own home, these non-communicative roommates who paid no rent because, well, it's hard enough to break even online gaming.

I've been reading up on estrangement and what seems common to all the stories is this: none of the parents - or siblings, because they often get lumped in with their sibling's estrangement of their parents - have any idea, really, why it's happened, what they've done to find themselves estranged.

I've decided there's good reason for that, it's because the estranger themself doesn't know why, just that it's all our fault, whatever "it" is, and they no longer wish to suffer our acquaintance.

We are nothing more to them than toxic product.

Well, toxic product after they've exhausted themselves lashing out at us for a few years, sometimes several, while taking advantage of our maternal desperation to keep them in the fold, so worried are we about their mental health, which seems... not good.

Please, please, please do yourself no harm. Love yourself, be kind to yourself, give yourself a hug.

I love you, I love you, I love you.

Stay safe while I wish you all the best in the world, my precious darling child.

Love yourself, dammit!

So there's that, their mental health seeming, well, not good, and we go for therapy because they won't. Please, please, please help us. No, help us help them. We're at our wits end. It's not true, love isn't enough, love just makes them mad. They don't believe us anyway.

They don't love us so they don't believe we love them. They aren't mothers. They have no idea of this one way deal. They don't remember the golden years when mother and child love each other the most.

Alas, we do.

Yes, I know, it's not about us. It's about them. They don't love themselves. And we can't help them. We are each of us alone responsible for loving ourselves.

I understand the need some of us have to leave the fold, a desire to reinvent oneself out in the world away from ties that may bind too tight, the stereotyping of each other family members do. I had a domineering mother who couldn't understand me at all, said as much regularly, found me exasperating.

I don't think I ever did a single thing she wanted me to do.

Hence my sense of humour.

It never occurred to me to cut her off. I cared about her too much. And she me.

Who cuts off their widowed mother who supported them all the way through university and beyond?

Well, my older sister did. Cut us all off, was estranged from us for years. Still is, really.

I was the last to be cut off, accused at the time of all sorts of wrongs against her. Me, six years younger, who'd only ever been in her thrall. And for a long time I believed her, took it to heart, blamed myself, our mother. But she cut off our brother, too, and our sister nine years younger than her.

Whoever said math isn't useful didn't know what they were talking about and neither do many of our modern day estrangers. They don't make sense to the people they're estranging because the lens through which they view their past is completely distorted.

My mother was pretty private about the estrangement, as she was a lot of things, but her friends knew. It felt shameful to her, as it did me, too. At first, anyway. But the more I talked about it, because I didn't want to hide, the more I learned about others living with estrangement of one kind or another.

Maybe they were even the estranger.

It wasn't common, but it happened.

Well, all sorts of families are experiencing it now, except we talk about it even less because it feels even more shameful now than it did then. Why? Well, because we're supposed to be so much better at parenting it's just assumed we must have failed miserably to have a child not want anything to do with us.

Except, if estrangers don't want anything to do with us why don't they just leave once they reach the age of majority, stop communicating with us from elsewhere? What's with the years of lashing out before they finally leave us, blaming us for this, that, and the other, claiming to have only ever suffered in our care, as if they haven't long been adults with all the agency in the world, free to go their own way at any time.

Reading so many of these stories, and granted they're being told by shattered parents and bewildered siblings, it seems to me the aggrieved are the aggressors in every one of them.

My older sister could always talk circles around me and I remember being so desperate she not cut me off like she had everybody else. But nothing I said mattered, no amount of reasoning worked. She had her own version of reality and it made absolutely no sense to me. How could it? From where I sat, six years younger, she'd always seemed to do whatever the hell she wanted, she and my mother dual queens of the hive, frequently at odds and yet having more in common with each other than anybody else, often seeing eye to eye.

I know there's no point in trying to have a relationship with someone who doesn't want one with you, and yet it's hard not to try, anyway. And while I agree with what I've read about keeping an open heart and arms, I don't agree about continuing to listen to their grievances, trying to understand where they're coming from, offering to make amends for our many, many, many failings as mothers.

Enough. There comes a point when there is no point and we're looking for the truth in lies other people tell themselves to avoid facing reality, which is that blaming your mother is no way to go through life. Look in the mirror. Accept responsibility for the person you see there. Put one foot in front of the other. Repeat.

Believe me. I know. Been there, done that, bought the mom-blaming tee-shirt.

My mother hung up the phone when I called to tell her I was pregnant, pretended she had something in the oven (at 3:00 in the afternoon), had to attend to it. Didn't call back, either. I called again later after sharing the happy news with my sister-in-law and knowing she'd have talked with my mother about it. Or talked her down, more like. But it just became a funny story I told at my former mother-in-law's memorial, she being all in from the start. I never brought it up with my mother because, whatever her reaction was all about, I knew it had nothing to do with me.

Well, breakthrough, because that's what I realized this morning, too. The behaviour of adult children has nothing to do with their mothers.

We blame a lot on the pandemic now, too, but no, the pandemic has become just another in a long line of excuses for adult children to behave like toddler judges and juries of their mothers' - and society's - failings, instead of taking responsibility for their own and getting on with it by doing better for the next generation - as the rest of us tried our damnedest to do for them.

Anyway, thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment