Friday, March 1, 2024

Money Over Matter

My young middle-aged neighbours who have jobs in the federal public service didn't want to go on strike last year or whenever the most recent PSAC strike was. They did, of course, but they were embarrassed by it. My suspicion as well is, even the employees who did want to strike were doing it not over pay but for the right to work from home.

And I doubt the union made much of a push for that because it isn't in its interests to have members working from home.

My last job was a term, so I was paid the going rate of a CR-04.

Let me put it this way, I was pleasantly surprised by the pay, and it's the lowest level job I've ever had in the government.

I just read a defence of a current teachers' strike in Saskatchewan and it lines up with my thinking, because it's not about money, it's about working conditions.

Amen, brother.

Sister?

Burnout isn't about pay, ffs, it's about working conditions.

I talked to the teachers at my kids' elementary school during Rae Days. Every one of their female teachers confided in me they had no quarrel with the Social Contract. Every. Single. One.

Time over money worked out for them just fine, thanks, Premier Rae. Ask a man his opinion of the Social Contract, though, and watch his face turn purple with rage.

I've always thought it stupid, the public service union focus on ever more money instead of a four day work week, shorter day, more employees to divvy up work in an increasingly complex world. Here in Ottawa we have bus drivers and police officers regularly making the Sunshine list.

Meanwhile, where's a bus or a cop when you need one?

No comments:

Post a Comment