Friday, September 20, 2019

Coynesplainin' Women of Colour

So last night I braved the news because I decided not to care if Stephen Harper who heads up a global outfit electing fascists in liberal democracies-

Oh, did I say Stephen Harper? I meant, Andrew Scheer. I decided not to care if Andrew Scheer wins.

Anyway, it was At Issue night on The National. Fortunately, I'm a Rosie Barton fan, so that part went well. She's the same. But then a weird thing happened where Althea Raj, of whom I'm a also a fan, said that Jagmeet Singh's second response to the photos of Justin Trudeau in blackface (the weirdest fucking thing to happen in Canada since Mackenzie King) was more calculated than his first response, which was more immediate (let's say). Then she qualified her statement to ensure viewers understood that she didn't mean calculated in a bad way because being more calculated isn't (necessarily) a bad thing.

At which point Andrew Coyne sort of interrupted her to say the exact same thing - without attribution - as if telling viewers that it's not necessarily bad for a politician to be more calculated in their response to another politician's incredibly offensive boneheadery come to light was HIS idea. And the rest of the panel, Chantal Hebert, of whom I'm also a fan, and a gentleman of whom I'm also a fan but have no idea of his name such that I can't even google him, didn't even slap him off his stool.

I think I would have. For sure Justin Trudeau would have. So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment