Thursday, September 19, 2019

Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Go to Private Schools

My take on photos of Trudeau dressed up in blackface, which certainly took me by surprise (I've only ever thought of JT as a wealthy douchebro, but a wealthy douchebro who grew up to say enough "right things" to get my vote - it never once occurred to me that JT was a complete idiot douchebro who dressed up in blackface ffs), is to note that his behaviour probably would have been called out AT THE TIME had he done such a thing at a public high school in Toronto (for instance) in the 1990s, let alone 2001.

Cripes, dressing up in blackface would have been called out at the Ottawa middle school my kids went to, never mind their high school. It really does strike me as a shockingly clued out thing for a student to do in the '90s, and certainly for a teacher to do in 2001, but there you go. Did it he did.

To me, then, this is a pretty good indicator of the problem with private schools. Sure, he went to Rockcliffe public school in his early years. But then he went on to do the private school circuit where he ultimately ended up teaching. And private schools both insulate and isolate wealthy kids from the rest of us, such that they end up living in a cultural bubble and getting away with behaviour that they wouldn't in a public school.

So there, a teaching moment, maybe.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to go to private schools.

1 comment: