Saturday, January 13, 2024

Same Difference

I have friends and relatives who think we should leave Ukraine to Russia.

They try to argue their opinion at me, but I distract them, change the subject. I know what they're going to argue anyway. I've heard it all my life from from their gurus, old men holding forth on American imperialism all my life.

Some of us even studied under them at university.

But they haven't read Timothy Snyder and I have, so I'm more up on Russian imperialism than they are. I'm also more up on its increasing Christo-Fascism, the same Christo-Fascism embraced by the American Right they pretend not to hope defeats Liberal Feminism.

It took me a while but I finally figured it out. They'd rather Christo-Fascism than Liberal Feminism.

Okay then.

I try to maintain cordial relations but they don't make it easy. I've had them argue at me there's no difference between Liberals, who are pro-choice, and Conservatives, who aren't.

What doesn't matter to them, eh?

Oh the privilege. I can only marvel at the rarefied air they breathe.

And that's just the easiest difference. They'll never admit it but the real reason they hate Trudeau so much is he took away the knife they enjoyed holding over our heads, declared the LPC a pro-choice party, case closed, abortion rights are no longer up for debate in Canada.

You know it, girlfriend.

Russia, the American Right, Canadian Conservatives, these are my enemies, not theirs. If you're voting against Trudeau because blah blah yada yada, thereby electing the odious bigot and misogynist Pierre Poilievre Prime Minister of Canada? Fuck you. Fuck you very much.

Here in Ontario we're going to be buying our health cards and driver licences at Staples because Canadian Conservatives.

Pharmacare? Good luck finding a doctor to do the prescribing.

We need therapy, not drugs. We're drugged to the gills. My friend's mom was on 20 different medications before she finally shuffled off this mortal coil, having never had therapy to deal with the childhood sexual assault so many of her generation experienced.

It wasn't fluoxetine that made me feel better, it was therapy, much needed advice on diet, a renewed commitment to exercise, better boundaries, letting go responsibility for the happiness of others.

Shedding guilt for putting myself first.

I have friends and relatives who think Israel's mass slaughter of Palestinian children and targeted killing of the journalists covering said mass slaughter is fair payback for the October 7 terrorist attack on Israelis by Hamas. I don't know why these people, many of whom didn't support George W. Bush's destruction of Iraq, the death of a million Iraqis, in retaliation for 9/11, support this obscenity being perpetrated by Israel - when so many Israelis don't - but they do.

It's not a war. The Occupier is bombing the Occupied. You raped and murdered our women. We're going to kill all your children.

Insanity piled on insanity.

You think that's crazy? We'll show you crazy!

Arguing semantics at The Hague.

Gord give us strength.

I also have friends and relatives who seem to support Russia, but not Israel, and friends and relatives who support Ukraine, but also Israel.

So this post is a thank you to my friends and relatives who understand two wrongs don't make a right, something I thought we all learned in kindergarten, and who support helping Ukraine defend itself against Russia's ongoing terrorism, but don't support helping Israel in its ongoing slaughter of Palestinian children.

I appreciate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment