Sunday, March 29, 2020

Silver Linings

So the money I'd been saving to live on when I'm older is as good as gone, thanks to our economy being shut down to reduce the spread of COVID-19. And I'm okay with that because doing what we can to reduce the spread of COVID-19 is the correct course of action.

I'm just flabbergasted that we're actually doing it. And at the urging of all our governing politicians, no less. Imagine, who would have thought in 2019 that we'd be sacrificing The Economy! The Economy! in 2020 to save each other from the flu.

But also, and much less noble, I realize now, after looking desperately for a silver lining (I mean beyond Canadians coming together to sacrifice The Economy! The Economy! to save each other from the flu) that I was never going to use that money anyway. I was going to hoard it until after I was safely dead and could no longer enjoy picturing it in a bank vault, glowing with energy, whilst I sipped my tea and nibbled my toast in the old folks barracks.

My little pot of gold for a rainy day that would never be rainy enough for me to dip into it. I could be drowning in rain and still I wouldn't have touched that rainy day fund. Not even to buy a boat. Because as anybody with a boat will tell you, they're all the Titanic when it comes to the money poured into them to keep them afloat.

Anyway, this has all been kind of enlightening for me so I thought I'd share.

Also, don't tell the government I said this but working for it from home is the worst. NOT that I don't consider myself lucky to be able to do it, having scored a casual (temp job at government pay) in February. But it's the worst.


No comments:

Post a Comment