Sunday, July 14, 2024

A Swing and a Miss

Hurricane Beryl caused a broody mood around these parts but it seems to have passed through now. For the past couple of weeks I've been dealing with a fungus issue in my heel but it seems to have cleared up. No sooner did it clear up though than I stubbed the toe next to my big toe and either broke or sprained it.

A friend at the pond (where I likely picked up the fungus) told me about a guy he knew who broke his toe, then got shingles, then developed congestive heart failure, then died. All that time he wouldn't got to the hospital. Refused.

I get it. We still advise each other to make an appointment with our doctor or go to the hospital like it's the olden days and not 2024. I'm so sorry if you need medical care. None of this is fair or makes any sense.

Go to the corner store I guess and drink yourself stupid on cheap beer.

Doug Ford doesn't drink himself so don't expect him to give a shit about your liver.

Last week, while NATO was meeting to harangue us about our military spending, Russia bombed a children's hospital in Kiev. So I think we should withhold any spending on NATO at all until NATO admits we're in WWIII, calls Russia's nuclear bluff and attacks it with everything we've got.

Also, our provinces seem to have endless money for police. Why not hook our police forces, I mean, services, up with our armed forces? Just nationalize them and let people find their own stolen cars.

Or get a fucking clue and stop buying them until car manufacturers make them theft-proof.

I am so fucking tired of paying for suburbanites to drive their gas guzzling tanks to and fro like they have zero responsibility for greenhouse gas emissions destroying life on Earth.

I've been weaning Facebook friends, one of whom is a devotee of Twitter. She joined an attack on a journalist at CBC, a young woman. Liberal Twitter, as it's called, regularly attacks journalists when it doesn't like the news they report, claiming a Conservative bias, just like the fascists claim a Liberal one.

I call Conservatives fascists now because they share a party with them. It's my opinion that Conservatives were always on the side of fascism, but because they were our neighbours and relatives, and we were supposed to maintain cordial relationships and not discuss politics, we pretended they weren't all about reversing civil and human rights for anyone who wasn't white, male, and Christian.

Fuck that. Republicans are why Donald Trump in the US and Conservatives here are why Pierre Poilievre - who may as well be Rob Anders, ffs.

So far, I'm proud of my Facebook friends for not pretending we have to care somebody supposedly took a shot at Donald Trump, although I'm not buying any of it yet. A recently deceased Facebook friend would be appalled, but he never understood how indefensible Donald Trump is.

I accused him once of being a Conservative and he was so mad it pretty much ended our friendship.

But I was right. It's bred in the bone, isn't it, as Robertson Davies would say. I denied I'm a Liberal for years, but I am, so now I just own it. My New Democrat colleagues at Queen's Park would regularly accuse me of it, being a Liberal. And really, I was only there because of my undying love for Bob Rae, who turned out to be a Liberal, too.

Americans terrify me now, millions of them all in with fascism. But maybe this latest Trump stunt, attempt on his miserable godforsaken mobster life, whatever it was - and again, I'm not buying any of it yet, maybe ever - will turn off the (inexplicable to me) fence-sitters and they either won't vote or will vote for the demonstrably frail Joe Biden.

No, stop with the excuses and own it. Joe Biden is frail. Believe your eyes and ears. But we're in a war whether we want to be or not, so whether he runs or someone else does, it's either fascism or democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment