Monday, March 4, 2019

Everything Old Is New Again

So I was having a shower when the feeling came over me that I've seen this Jody Wilson-Raybould vs Justin Trudeau play before.

Doris Anderson vs Lloyd Axworthy back in 1981.

I even remember taking on my Liberal mother over it who said, "You don't bite the hand that feeds you."

To which I said, "Feminism before party politics."

I think it's fair to say we were both wrong.

I spoke to Doris Anderson once. She called the NDP Research Office at Queen's Park where I was working at the time. I'd just read a book she'd written and gushed, "I read your book!" To which she demanded, "Did you like it?" So of course I said, "Like it? I loved it!"

I was just glad she didn't ask how I knew it was her when she hadn't said her name yet.

A voice that could cut glass.

I invite you to read this obituary of Doris Anderson by Sandra Martin.

Women in the News

No comments:

Post a Comment