Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Wave Back

I wasn't going to say anything but what the hell it's just the internet - keep an eye out for men cheer leading Feminists calling out liberal Feminists on abortion.

And why will Feminists be calling out liberal Feminists on abortion?

Well, because liberal Feminists, with regard to abortion, are about protecting the right of the individual female person - in a world run by men - to end an unwanted pregnancy, safely and legally and within our universal healthcare system. But there are certainly other Feminists, Feminists who wouldn't describe themselves as liberal Feminists, who are about representing their communities, communities that have experienced neglect and oppression by our governments, and they don't necessarily share the liberal Feminist position on abortion - for reasons that stem from that neglect and oppression.

I can certainly respect that. I also know that the position I take in public is more nuanced in private, so maybe it's the reverse with Feminists from, for instance, Indigenous communities. I don't know.

(For the record, I take my Feminist cues from Gloria Steinem and my intersectional Feminist Facebook friends, not the racist Famous Five statue on Parliament Hill.)

What I don't respect, and I hope if you're on Twitter you'll call them out for me, is men (and they're pretty much always white political pundits) coattailing on Feminists from those communities to attack liberal Feminists.

Because these men have no shame, they just have it in for liberal Feminists, and so they will use the opportunity to accuse liberal Feminists of being either fake or racist or both, pretending that we do derive our liberal Feminism from the Famous Five and not Gloria Steinem and our intersectional Feminist Facebook friends.

Anyway, I'd say it goes back to Justin Trudeau telling prospective nominees to the Liberal Party to be pro-choice or fuck off to another party, and how certain white political pundits hate him for it, but you probably guessed that already.

#ImNotAFakeFeministYoureAFakeFeminist

No comments:

Post a Comment